Sunday, December 2, 2012

Introduction

This is a blog dedicated to tabletop role playing game campaign design. My intent -- after January 1, 2013 (presupposing no Mayan apocalypse) through December 31 2013 -- is to post 1000-2000 words M-W-F. Every month I'll be tackling a new campaign idea, beginning with a new setting, new themes and likely new mechanics if I can't find a game engine that does what I want. I expect that part of any campaign to take one or two weeks, with the remainder of the month being dedicated to adventure outlines for that campaign.

Many of the things I tackle will be existing media properties: I'm starting with a Hobbit-themed campaign, with a Ghostbusters campaign and a Hogwarts campaign waiting in the wings. Others are extremely odd mash up, such as "Mech & Matrimony: the game of Jane Austen romance and giant robot combat" and "An Invitation..." which is essentially a Steampunk Mission Impossible. Yet others are more traditional concepts that I've never personally executed in gaming, such as a worldwide alien invasion (though I'm not sure if it will feel like War of the Worlds, Independence Day or Mars Attacks!) or a Legion of Superheroes style super-team in the distant future.

I've been doing this sort of thing for a while in other places such as Alarums & Excursions, Pyramid Magazine and my old Livejournal site. Some things I discussed in those places will be repurposed, but I promise many new things for those of you that have been privy to my older stuff.

Please feel free to comment, critique and suggest revisions. I ended up going with a blog format rather than my short-lived Google Site in the hopes of some feedback.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading and commenting, Brian. I've always found your writing in A&E thought-provoking and valuable, and expect no different here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned that you were doing this, but I didn't know the URL, and I haven't been on G+ lately.

    ReplyDelete