Thursday, December 29, 2022

Dungeon23 Challenge: the Giants Shadow - Lost Galmagia

 

Dungeon23 Logo designed by Lone Archivist and generously made available for free through the CC BY 4.0 licenses.

Like everyone else in the know universe I'm taking part in the Dungeon23 Challenge. The idea, in brief, is to build a classic megadungeon one room a day, one level a month, so you on January 1 2024 you have a 12 level, 365 room dungeon like the ones that were the heart of the game in the 1970s.  

This is built in the same world as the Hobbit game "A Distant Inheritance" design I posted back in 2013, so a nice little anniversary synchronicity there. Unlike "ADI", which was set 99 years after the giants came out of the mountains and destroyed all the human cities of the Tarmalanian plains, leaving behind the edict that across the plain "no stone shall lie upon stone", this game is set a mere 25 years after. Human refugees in the dwarf hills and mountains and elvish woods have just enough of a foothold - a couple of coastal 'cities', numerous small towns - to start wanting back the things they left behind. Enter the Player Characters. From a town that is one step up from a refugee camp settled over entrances to (and borrowing the name from) the dwarf city of Amethyst Spire, they will be trying to recover the treasures of Lost Galmoria, which is a tantalizing and no longer insurmountable day's ride away.  

System is going to be B/X (the Moldvay basic set, the Cook/Marsh Expert set), which I haven't run since '83. I'm making a 40 year reunion in the mechanics and a 10 year reunion in the setting. Being me of course there will be some game mods in this, but I want to keep as close to pure rules as I can in the presentation. I'm aiming to post one 7-day room cluster a week on Monday mornings, with W and F updates on the world, rumors, ideas, etc. when I can manage it. Things will get archives on the Lost Galmagia page.  



1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to it! The 365 days commitment turns me right off, but I'm interested to see what other people do with it.

    The resulting 365 room mega-dungeon is also unwieldy for me but I love mega-dungeons in theory.

    ReplyDelete