Friday, June 28, 2024

Weekly Book Recommendation (June 28)

This week's reads

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett: This is the 31st of the Discworld books, and my initial read had me slot it as one of his lesser efforts. The kiddo just read it and raved about it, which made me revisit and kick it up a notch. An interesting analysis of war and national pride and faith. 

Comeback by Dick Francis: Once again, it turns out this Dick Francis guy wrote good horse thrillers. I wonder if anyone else noticed this. And again, that these are almost all free standing stories without returning characters and wildly different plots is wonderful because I just have no freaking clue what will happen next. 

The World We Make by N.K. Jemisin: This was meant to be volumes 2 and 3 of her Great Cities trilogy, but as she was working on it Covid came and radically altered the New York she was writing about. This book absolutely feels like the key scenes outline of what was meant to be a more complex pair of books. I get why she had to walk away and why she couldn't completely walk away, and it's a fun read, but it's not a patch on The City We Became. I recommend you read this one immediately after that one just to see how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment