Monday, September 9, 2024

Scornbul by Midnight Overview

This was a fascinating experiment for me because it was the first time I had successfully run a PBEM sequence. I had played in them before (R Jean Stevenson's masterful Star Change game for Spelljammer, primarily), but my attempts to run them myself fell apart because I tried to exert too much authorial control. This was a great training ground before I went on to run my X-Men and Legion of Super-Heroes games. 

It helps that Jim is a professional writer who was engaged with the idea, so the story moved pretty smoothly on his end. That and PBEM play is near perfect for single player work. 

Jim, Melas' player, was going to miss two monthly games and I didn't want to have his PC be out of the action for that long, so I cobbled together a side plot that showed what the villains behind the current villain were doing: the coven of Hags who were pushing the pirates and assassins to work against Emirikol. Hags have always been one of my all time favorite villains in d20 Fantasy because of their diversity of powers, their cooperation, and their mutual antagonism - it just makes them great villains The Sea Hag, ostensibly the weakest of them, has such a gothic power in their grotesque visage saps the strength of others, that I wanted to stick her into a gothic story bit. Add in the visuals of the blinded former pirates working for her in the darkened house and it gave everything a horror scenario vibe. 

I tried to stick to the D&D mechanics as much as I could for resolving the plotline, and that she only had 16 HP made it possible for Melas to win a fight once he got close enough and got a weapon. Sea Hags are classic Glass Cannons in that they can really mess you up damage and ability wise, but they aren't bags o' HP, and that worked great for the action economy of a single PC against the monster. If memory served he walked out of that house with 3 HP left. the 3E mechanics, again, did everything I would have asked them too. Escape Artist checks, even! 

Rereading it as I posted it I'm really happy with the mood, atmosphere, and character work of this, as well as how it gave the PCs more information from an oblique source. Melas dealt a serious blow to their main adversaries without really knowing what he had done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment