Monday, August 5, 2024

RPG a Day: Game with Great Writing

It's scary for me to think about how long ago this was written and what it means for my age (since the stuff written when I was a kid was always there but the stuff written when I was an adult was always, what, 8-10 years ago?) but for decades the book I kept going back to read just for the fun of the prose and presentation was Robin Laws _Feng Shui_ 1st edition. Not only is it chock full of revolutionary (for the time; many people have incorporated them since) game mechanics, the breezy, personable presentation just makes it feel like you're hanging out with another gamer. It's no surprise now, after 10+ years of KARTAS.

I'll also toss out 13th Age 1E and its supplement books, if only for the willingness of the design team to lift the hood and explain WHY they made the decisions they made, and how they see certain monsters working as story elements. Its very useful in that space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment