Friday, August 16, 2024

Weekly Book Recommendation (August 16)

Hellboy Omnibus, volume 1 The Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola (John Byrne scripted the first arc): I do nothing to hide my deep love for Atomic Robo, but there's no avoiding the conclusion that without Hellboy there's not an Atomic Robo. I bought this volume for my Robo-loving daughter but she was never able to get into it because of the creepy horror aspects. Not so much a concern for me. I need to get the other 3 omnibus volumes on my "please buy me for presents" lists. The artwork is so distinctly Mignola and so vibrantly alive while still being cloaked in shadows. The plotting has this strange sticatto beat that is also distinctively Mignola, with minimal dialogue that acts as connective tissue between the stories while crisply defining the characters. There really is nothing else like it. If you haven't read it, you should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment